Friday, January 26, 2007

Charr Crail, Silk Artist

Silk Scarves
I'm Charr and one of my specialties is hand-painted silk scarves. I create original artworks on silk using two different techniques. The first is the Serti technique. I draw an outline with a resist substance onto the silk fabric and paint with silk dyes to put vibrant color into my drawings. Each scarf is carefully steamed to render the artwork on silk permanent and washable. These luscious and colorful scarves become one of a kind original wearable pieces of art, even suitable for framing.
The second technique I use is called Marbling, an ancient art form more closely related to a printing process and quite techniqually challenging.
I work with Silk Satin, Charmeuse, China silk and Chiffons. They each have such different personalities their own beautiful drape and soft flow... *and no, that's not me in the photo. :)

charrpillow
I have also started a new line of decorative pillows. Over the 2006 holidays I created quite a few pillows as gifts and remembered how fun and satisfying they were to make. They really dress up home decor too. Recently I found the most luxurious dupioni silks in gorgeous colors and made this pillow yesterday, embellishing the center with a sweet little carved stone bead.
charrpillow2

3 comments:

karin said...

beautiful pillow, wow!

The Burning Hands said...

yaba yaba charr! gorgeous work!

Cori said...

Awesome pillow- love the accent bead. You've def got something there!